More notes from the field, courtesy of your New York researcher for the Oxford English Dictionary (OED). Tell people you work for the OED, and they seem to think that you have some mystical authority over the use (or misuse) of the language. (I especially like the random Twitter questions – adjudicating biographies, passing muster […]
As the New York researcher for the Oxford English Dictionary, I’ve been hailed as a hero (hipster poets love me), gotten the rock star reception (by research librarians), and been dismissed with derision, thought possibly to be deranged – this by college classmates at a recent reunion: rock-ribbed Wall Street sorts, who haven’t yet heeded […]
- Affect versus effect
- OED birthday word generator: which words originated in your birth year?
- Grammar myths #2: please miss, can I start a sentence with a conjunction?
- Lie or lay? Laying down the law on some puzzling verbs
- Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?
- Compliment or complement?
- Rein or reign? Hold your horses before applying pen to paper…
- Principle or principal?
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is…
- Which classical character are you?
- On the radar: July 2014
- Fedoras to mullets: decades of fashion words
- The peculiar history of cows in the OED
- How I created the languages of Dothraki and Valyrian for Game of Thrones
- What do you call a group of…
- Can -core survive normcore?
- 20 words that originated in the 1920s
- How do British and American attitudes to dictionaries differ?
- Farmily album: the rise of the felfie
- Language review 2013: from bitcoin to sharknado
- Infographic: a closer look at ‘selfie’
- What the Romans did for us: English words of Latin origin
- Why did Tolkien use archaic language?
What are dangling participles and how can you avoid them? Find out... oxford.ly/1tZKB03
Four more English words that came from Arabic... pic.twitter.com/0wfcnJ92kN
Word of the Day: internecine - destructive to both sides in a conflict... oxford.ly/1pclL8s
Quiz: how well do you know archaic animal names? oxford.ly/1lzAhgb
How did nuclear weapon testing affect the 'facekini'? Find out... oxford.ly/1lxY5kw