As Peter Jackson celebrates his birthday this week many Tolkien fans across the world are eagerly awaiting the release of The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey, due to hit the cinemas in December. To many, The Hobbit is the clumsier younger brother of The Lord of the Rings, less epic and with a Middle Earth that […]
If you’re not familiar with the Discworld, the fantasy world created by author Sir Terry Pratchett which has featured in 39 bestselling novels, then you’ve certainly been missing out. For the uninitiated, Discworld is a flat world balanced on the backs of four giant elephants standing on the shell of the star turtle Great A’Tuin […]
- Affect versus effect
- Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?
- Grammar myths #2: please miss, can I start a sentence with a conjunction?
- Lie or lay? Laying down the law on some puzzling verbs
- Compliment or complement?
- Principle or principal?
- OED birthday word generator: which words originated in your birth year?
- Rein or reign? Hold your horses before applying pen to paper…
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is… vape
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is…
- Video: acronyms and initialisms – what’s the difference?
- Feeling bright? 8 historical synonyms for ‘clever’
- Gallery: new quotations in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
- America’s war on language
- The peculiar history of cows in the OED
- What do you call a group of…
- 20 words that originated in the 1920s
- How do British and American attitudes to dictionaries differ?
- What the Romans did for us: English words of Latin origin
- Why did Tolkien use archaic language?
Word of the Day: interfuse - join or mix (two or more things) together... oxford.ly/1uXnCs5
Which punctuation mark are you? Take the quiz to find out: oxford.ly/1CbsDiO
‘Censure’ or ‘censor’? Make sure you know the difference... bit.ly/1eJaQlu
ICYMI: Word of the Day: apathetic - showing or feeling no interest, enthusiasm, or concern... oxford.ly/1Laap3J