Baseball fans, whether casual or diehard (such as sabermetricians), know that October means one thing: the World Series. First played in 1903, this “Fall Classic” series of games (which, this year, begins on 23 October) determines the World Champion of the professional sport. While its name implies an international contest, the competition actually only includes […]
While many people in the Northern Hemisphere are mourning the end of summer, to a certain set of folks in America and around the globe, this is the most wonderful time of the year – time for the U.S. Open! The fourth and final Grand Slam tennis tournament to occur in a calendar year, it […]
- Affect versus effect
- Grammar myths #2: please miss, can I start a sentence with a conjunction?
- Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?
- Lie or lay? Laying down the law on some puzzling verbs
- Compliment or complement?
- OED birthday word generator: which words originated in your birth year?
- Principle or principal?
- Rein or reign? Hold your horses before applying pen to paper…
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is…
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is… vape
- Video: acronyms and initialisms – what’s the difference?
- Feeling bright? 8 historical synonyms for ‘clever’
- Gallery: new quotations in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
- America’s war on language
- The peculiar history of cows in the OED
- What do you call a group of…
- 20 words that originated in the 1920s
- How do British and American attitudes to dictionaries differ?
- What the Romans did for us: English words of Latin origin
- Why did Tolkien use archaic language?
Word of the Day: emulous - seeking to emulate someone or something... oxford.ly/1AAzT3t
Alaafia to kapayapaan: words for 'peace' around the world oxford.ly/1DRsUJ2
ICYMI: Word of the Day: cumbersome - large or heavy and therefore difficult to carry… oxford.ly/1AlMdX8
The Oxford Dictionaries Community is asking about the format to use when writing foreign words. Can you help? oxford.ly/1zHmwjD