When Seamus Heaney’s death was announced last year the prevailing mood was one of sadness; a feeling that the world had not only lost a great poet but a kind and humane man. Thinking about Heaney, as we near what would have been his 75th birthday, I was prompted to revisit his first full-length collection […]
The word rum is first recorded in 1654 in the Public Records of the Colony of Connecticut, where it is mentioned along with another of its names kill-devil: Berbados Liquors, commonly called Rum, Kill Deuill, or the like. The word itself is of obscure origin, being somehow related to rumbullion and rumbustion, words whose origins […]
- Affect versus effect
- OED birthday word generator: which words originated in your birth year?
- Grammar myths #2: please miss, can I start a sentence with a conjunction?
- Lie or lay? Laying down the law on some puzzling verbs
- Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?
- Compliment or complement?
- Rein or reign? Hold your horses before applying pen to paper…
- Principle or principal?
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is…
- Which classical character are you?
- On the radar: July 2014
- Fedoras to mullets: decades of fashion words
- The peculiar history of cows in the OED
- How I created the languages of Dothraki and Valyrian for Game of Thrones
- What do you call a group of…
- Can -core survive normcore?
- 20 words that originated in the 1920s
- How do British and American attitudes to dictionaries differ?
- Farmily album: the rise of the felfie
- Language review 2013: from bitcoin to sharknado
- Infographic: a closer look at ‘selfie’
- What the Romans did for us: English words of Latin origin
- Why did Tolkien use archaic language?
What are dangling participles and how can you avoid them? Find out... oxford.ly/1tZKB03
Four more English words that came from Arabic... pic.twitter.com/0wfcnJ92kN
Word of the Day: internecine - destructive to both sides in a conflict... oxford.ly/1pclL8s
Quiz: how well do you know archaic animal names? oxford.ly/1lzAhgb
How did nuclear weapon testing affect the 'facekini'? Find out... oxford.ly/1lxY5kw