Emmy host Jimmy Fallon … made a sly illusion to Conan O’Brien’s firing as host of “The Tonight Show”. CNN transcripts, August 2010 (taken from the Oxford English Corpus). As the above incorrect usage shows, among many troublesome twosomes in the English language are illusion and allusion. It doesn’t help that their pronunciations are similar, […]
Popular culture . . . In 2010, much of our uneasy fascination turned from zombie banks to plain old zombies. Well, maybe not “plain old.” It’s been a phenomenal year for zombies, who have commanded huge markets in the entertainment industry and a seemingly insatiable fan base. As zombies roamed the planet, another breed of […]
- OED birthday word generator: which words originated in your birth year?
- Affect versus effect
- Which classical character are you?
- Grammar myths #2: please miss, can I start a sentence with a conjunction?
- Lie or lay? Laying down the law on some puzzling verbs
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is…
- Compliment or complement?
- Rein or reign? Hold your horses before applying pen to paper…
- Which Jane Austen character are you?
- Which Charles Dickens character are you?
- How do British and American attitudes to dictionaries differ?
- How can World Englishes benefit from crowdsourcing?
- Make mine a double: speaking of twins
- Farmily album: the rise of the felfie
- Language review 2013: from bitcoin to sharknado
- Infographic: a closer look at ‘selfie’
- What the Romans did for us: English words of Latin origin
- Why did Tolkien use archaic language?
- Sister-in-laws, sisters-in-law, or sisters-in-laws?
- From Boris Johnson to Oscar Wilde: who is the wittiest of them all?
This time it’s not a word that has the OED team scratching their heads, it’s a source: oxford.ly/1gAgxQS
How good is your spelling? Take the Oxford Dictionaries Spelling Challenge: oxford.ly/1jhiOH4
Is the letter Y a vowel or a consonant? oxford.ly/PQOGWi
Syzygy: a conjunction or opposition, especially of the moon with the sun. oxford.ly/1l6TCjz
Word of the Day: maelstrom - a powerful whirlpool in the sea... oxford.ly/1gFc2YV