People can go a bit funny when I tell them I edit dictionaries for a living. They get nervous and hesitant, as if they’re expecting me to leap on them at any moment, mock their use of grammar, laugh cruelly at their mispronunciations, and pour scorn on their woefully limited vocabulary. But nothing could be […]
The only time I’ve ever been in a betting shop was more than twenty years ago, on National day. Though not a betting man by nature, like much of the British population my dad would have a flutter on the Grand National. He took me with him one year, and I remember the small, close […]
In July 1917, after three years of bloody war, anti-German feeling in Britain was reaching a feverish peak. Xenophobic mutterings about the suitability of having a German on the throne had been heard since 1914. The fact that the Royal family shared part of its name, Saxe-Coburg-Gotha, with the Gotha bombers responsible for the devastating […]
- OED birthday word generator: which words originated in your birth year?
- Affect versus effect
- Which classical character are you?
- Grammar myths #2: please miss, can I start a sentence with a conjunction?
- Which Charles Dickens character are you?
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is…
- Lie or lay? Laying down the law on some puzzling verbs
- Which Jane Austen character are you?
- Compliment or complement?
- Rein or reign? Hold your horses before applying pen to paper…
- How do British and American attitudes to dictionaries differ?
- How can World Englishes benefit from crowdsourcing?
- Make mine a double: speaking of twins
- Farmily album: the rise of the felfie
- Language review 2013: from bitcoin to sharknado
- Infographic: a closer look at ‘selfie’
- What the Romans did for us: English words of Latin origin
- Why did Tolkien use archaic language?
- Sister-in-laws, sisters-in-law, or sisters-in-laws?
- From Boris Johnson to Oscar Wilde: who is the wittiest of them all?
New word list: animal phobias, from apiphobia to musophobia oxford.ly/1g4HoTL
Flaunt or flout? Remember: flaunt and display with an ‘a’; flout and ignore with an ‘o’. oxford.ly/wvGxWF
If you have hippophobia, which animal do you have an extreme of irrational dislike of? oxford.ly/1g4HoTL