Today is Brigitte Bardot‘s birthday. Joyeux anniversaire, BB! The former French film actress caused a sensation in 1956 when she appeared in And God Created Woman, the film that established her reputation as an international sex symbol. Her first scene finds her sunbathing in the nude – in her birthday suit, as it were. In […]
At the beginning of October the Guardian newspaper published a survey of the best independent bookshops in the UK. Two were described in strikingly similar terms: ‘A Tardis among bookshops, [it] appears narrow at first glance, but packs a lot inside’ in one case, and ‘The Tardis-like bookshop is beautiful, with a stained-glass window depicting […]
- Affect versus effect
- Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?
- Grammar myths #2: please miss, can I start a sentence with a conjunction?
- Lie or lay? Laying down the law on some puzzling verbs
- Compliment or complement?
- Principle or principal?
- OED birthday word generator: which words originated in your birth year?
- Rein or reign? Hold your horses before applying pen to paper…
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is… vape
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is…
- Video: acronyms and initialisms – what’s the difference?
- Feeling bright? 8 historical synonyms for ‘clever’
- Gallery: new quotations in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
- America’s war on language
- The peculiar history of cows in the OED
- What do you call a group of…
- 20 words that originated in the 1920s
- How do British and American attitudes to dictionaries differ?
- What the Romans did for us: English words of Latin origin
- Why did Tolkien use archaic language?
ICYMI: Word of the Day: glen - a narrow valley, especially in Scotland or Ireland oxford.ly/1yRxnWV
#Quote of the Week: “We teachers can only help the work going on, as servants wait upon a master.” - Maria Montessori
Word of the Day: glen - a narrow valley, especially in Scotland or Ireland... oxford.ly/1yRxnWV
ICYMI: Word of the Day: dittohead - an unquestioning supporter of an idea or opinion… oxford.ly/1wrTmze
Participles, and how not to dangle them… bit.ly/rk034n