By the early twentieth century, OK was no longer a joke. The letters O and K did not prompt memories of the misspelled oll korrect, nor did they stimulate alternative explanations. In the nineteenth century, OK was recognized as a humorous abbreviation, but in the twentieth, it was understood merely as an arbitrary combination of […]
Epicures of etymologies could scarcely ask for a more delicious dish than OK. Yes, OK—America’s greatest contribution to the English language, and the most successful export from English to other languages around the world. By its looks and sound, OK is an odd concoction, with little resemblance to anything else in the language. And by […]
- Affect versus effect
- Grammar myths #1: is it wrong to end a sentence with a preposition?
- Grammar myths #2: please miss, can I start a sentence with a conjunction?
- Lie or lay? Laying down the law on some puzzling verbs
- Compliment or complement?
- Principle or principal?
- OED birthday word generator: which words originated in your birth year?
- Rein or reign? Hold your horses before applying pen to paper…
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year is… vape
- The Oxford Dictionaries Word of the Year 2013 is…
- Video: acronyms and initialisms – what’s the difference?
- Feeling bright? 8 historical synonyms for ‘clever’
- Gallery: new quotations in the Oxford Dictionary of Quotations
- America’s war on language
- The peculiar history of cows in the OED
- What do you call a group of…
- 20 words that originated in the 1920s
- How do British and American attitudes to dictionaries differ?
- What the Romans did for us: English words of Latin origin
- Why did Tolkien use archaic language?
Are you a hashtag or an apostrophe? Take our quiz to learn which punctuation mark best captures your personality: oxford.ly/1CbsDiO
Word of the Day: interfuse - join or mix (two or more things) together... oxford.ly/1uXnCs5
Which punctuation mark are you? Take the quiz to find out: oxford.ly/1CbsDiO
‘Censure’ or ‘censor’? Make sure you know the difference... bit.ly/1eJaQlu